A little work upfront can make a world of difference when it comes to listing your home. We recommend doing your due diligence at least six months before listing. It will make the process much more manageable, I promise!
6 MONTHS OUT
- Find your agent. With six months to go, you have more than enough time to find your perfect agent without rushing the process. Contact Jennifer Mack Properties if you are listing a property in Northern Virginia—we’d love to sell your home for you!
- Schedule your game plan. Have any trips planned? Want to avoid holiday chaos? By thinking through conflicts in advance, you can work around your schedule and list your home when it work for you.
- Start familiarizing yourself with the current market. We provide comparative market analysis reports so our clients can get a feel for how homes in their neighborhood are priced. We then analyze additional data to make sure the home is priced correctly.
- Target your new neighborhood. Start scoping out where you want to move. What are the average home prices in your potential new neighborhood?
3 MONTHS OUT
- Make repairs. Now is the time to get your roof, plumbing and electrical system inspected and have any necessary repairs completed. Also, consider making small cosmetic changes that will show off your home in the best way — like painting walls or removing outdated light fixtures. Getting this done in advance helps to account for any delays and keeps you on track to list within six months. We have a extensive list of service providers we work with that we can provide you.
- Deep clean and possibly re-organize. Give your home a serious deep clean. You’ll want to show your home at its very best. It’s right around this time that we discuss our free staging services with our clients. Our award winning designer truly makes the changes needed to impress potential buyers, like making rooms appearing bigger and getting all the benefits of natural light to show off your home.
1 MONTH OUT
- Time for marketing materials. Time to photograph your home and implement some marketing. We schedule professional photos for all of our clients’ homes, both for our print brochures and for online viewing when the listing goes “live”. If you’ve taken advantage of our staging professional, you won’t believe how breathtaking your home is to potential buyers.
- Set your official “live” date. You’ve already targeted the general timeframe you want to list in, but go ahead and set exactly when your listing will go live. For our clients, we host an open house the first weekend after going live. We further promote open houses through online marketing — giving your listing an extra boost!
- Start preparing for your move. An October 2018 report by SmartAsset states that in a high-demand seller’s market, a well-priced home could sell within three to 10 days. You’ll have enough going on once your home sells, so why not get a little packing done in advance? If you list in the summer, you’re probably safe packing up your winter coats, snow boots and holiday decorations. Same goes for listing in the winter with your swimsuits, pool toys and grill.
2-3 WEEKS OUT
- Consult with your loan officer to get your loan payout information. That way, you’ll have a better idea of what your net sales proceeds will be.
1 WEEK OUT
- Keep cleaning! It’ll cut down on the night-before-listing cleaning frenzy.
Congratulations! All your hard pre-listing work has paid off. Now, sit back and relax while we take care of the rest. Our agents will work diligently to get your property sold quickly and for the best price.